Monday, August 6, 2012

8 years



The end of June marked an unbelievable 8 years at Pixar! I started at the studio during the tail-end of production on The Incredibles, as a nervous, wide-eyed college intern doing everything and anything to please my colleagues in the Consumer Products department. My desk was the size of a night stand, placed strategically next to a copy machine (which quickly became my best friend...her name was Frida). All eyes were on me and my little desk, so I had to perform. I must have done something right to later secure a spot on the Publishing team!

Publishing is a very workload-heavy, hard-deadline environment, but what's cool about it is the wide variety of projects and people our team is involved with. Pub oversees all domestic and international storybooks for all the Disney•Pixar feature and short films. This includes book formats like: sound book, novelty, educational, color & activity, sticker, junior novel, Little Golden Book, and more. We also have our hand in digital eBook and App development and manage specialty art books and global magazines. We are busy year round!

What I have cherished most during my experience at Pixar is all that I have LEARNED (and continue to learn) from the most talented creatives in the world. It's been such an honor to collaborate with these brilliant minds everyday, take in their teachings, and apply it to my own creative work.

Below is a sampling of my FAVORITE book titles I have overseen over the years:


I am most proud of my work on this book! Many thanks to my buddies Bill Cone and Ralph Eggleston for their creative guidance in creating this comprehensive beauty. Available from Chronicle Books. 

My two favorites in the Pixar Art of series. Both shows were amazing to work with, the filmmakers were so accommodating and efficient! Available from Chronicle Books. 


As a kid I was a huge fan of DK's Eyewitness books. Now I love coming up with fun facts for the DK Essential Guides to the films. Available from Dorling Kindersley.

Little Golden Books, a coveted classic. Available from Random House. 

One of the most amazing film trilogies of all time wrapped into one book. Available from Disney Editions. 

Every Pixar fan needs this book! You might even catch a few glimpses of Kelly B. inside! Available from Disney Editions. 

I have loved partnering with Leapfrog to create these interactive/educational titles. Available from Leapfrog.

Happy Reading!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on 8 years at Pixar! That is a huge accomplishment and you should be proud! We own many of the titles you have shown above and it's so neat to get to see a peek into your life, thank you for sharing.

    The "Art Of" books are probably my favorites, however I did pick up an absolutely beautiful children's book "Brave One Perfect Day" not that long ago that is completely mesmerizing and I love my "La Luna" book, too!

    Cheers to your next 8 years at Pixar!



    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! My good friend Matt Nolte illustrated the Brave: One Perfect Day book! He is such a humble artist, he totally discredits his work on that book, which makes everyone laugh because his work is SO AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelly! Couldn't sleep so I got up and decided to catch up on my favorite blogs and of course to see if there was anything new up over here! :) Came across your response to this post and that is too funny! His (Matt's) illustrations in the book are beautiful! The artwork on the cover jumped out at me as I was walking around the Disney store and I knew I had to own it. I loved his watercolor interpretations of Merida and her environment...has he illustrated any other Pixar books?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Glad to hear I am on your favorite blog roll! I will be sure to post more often now that I know someone is reading! ;) That is the first book that Matt has illustrated. I vanpool with Matt, and when he was working on the book he would show us all his work in progress pages, which were outstanding but he thought they were "crap". Can you believe!? Matt is totally funny like that.

    You can see some of his concept artwork in The Art of Brave and some of the other Pixar Art of books.

    ReplyDelete