Monday, August 29, 2022

eggman

The lights at Pixar are a bit dimmer as we mourn the loss of one of our greats... 

Ralph Eggleston

Ralph sat next to me in the early Incredibles 2 prod pod at Pixar where I had just started my new role as Script Supervisor. I had interacted with Ralph for years prior on various Publishing projects, so it was nice to have a familiar face welcoming me to Production. He knew how valuable and intense the Script Supe role was at the studio and always made sure I felt valued and secure. 

We were both early birds. Every morning Ralph would swing by my office and talk about his obsession with silent film icon Fatty Arbuckle (my paternal great grandmother’s first cousin...I think he almost fainted when I told him we were related). He was enamored with Fatty’s career and downfall from Hollywood. Ralph let me borrow his tattered paperback copy of The Day the Laughter Stopped. It started to disintegrate while I was reading it so I repaired the pages using a role of tape and swiftly returned it to his bookshelf. 

Ralph would always arrive to i2 art reviews in a frenzy, spinning into the room with newsprint flying everywhere. Brad Bird said he "molted artwork” wherever he walked. :D

In an act of kismet, I displayed Ralph's WALL•E crew artwork in my parent’s hallway this weekend.

Thank you for the colorful conversations, smiles, and laughs over the years Ralph. Hope you get to meet Fatty. All the love. 

Kelly B 



A message from Ralph to a group of elementary school students, that applies to every artist (and human): 

No comments:

Post a Comment